Original Lapland’s Leader Fell Lapland team organized a workshop in Hetta in the end of April 2019. During the fully packed 3 day program we hosted 3 different activities for over 60 participants from Finland, Norway and Sweden. The agenda was built to support best practice sharing across the borders, build up new business relationships between participating companies and organizations and increase collaboration in general.
Wednesday April 24: Introductions
Wednesday’s late afternoon session was opened by Laura Hokajärvi, Project Manager at Leader Fell Lapland. Tiina Vuontisjärvi from Hetan Majatalo gave a short overview of their 95-year old family business and history. All parcipants were asked to introduce themselves by choosing a power animal.
Bear was absolutely the most popular one: either we all felt really strong – or we’re just feeling a bit sleepy after the winter.
Based on the very first hour of the event, the latter wasn’t the case. The spirits were truly high and atmosphere was as warm as the weather: Hetta was experiencing a truly amazing heat wave of +17 degrees.
Before dinner, we also watched an interesting movie of Finnish smugglers crossing the Torniojoki – River Tornio between Sweden to Finland and smuggling coffee. The movie is also available in YouTube if you wish to watch it again. Here’s the link to Jopparit.
Thank you for ‘Our Stories team‘ for sharing this interesting glimpse to the history!
Thursday April 25: Seminar
On Thursday morning we packed ourselves into the Fell Lapland Visitor Center’s auditorium. Full agenda can be found here.
During the morning we learnt more on how each visit organization work, what are their challenges and how do they plan to attract new visitors to their region. Metsähallitus, Visit Finland, Finnair and Our Stories also shared their recent news. You can find further details of their projects from here:
- Metsähallitus: Project Halti
- Business Finland / Visit Finland
- Finnair NowHere (link to be added once the project is launched)
- Our Stories
WATCH THE FULL SEMINAR ONLINE ⇒ If you wish to watch the full recording of the event (3 hours), here’s the link to YouTube. Thank you Timo and Taina from Lapland News for making this possible!
All presentations can be found here:
- 1-THE TRUE LAPLAND Pasi Ikonen
- 2-PROJECT HALTI Pertti Itkonen
- 3-VISIT FINLAND Liisa Kokkarinen
- 4-VISIT LYNGENFJORD Georg Sichelschmidt
- 5-KAUTOKEINO REGION Antje Schlecht
- 6-SWEDISH LAPLAND Johanna Ögren and Lars Munk
- 7-FINNAIR NOWHERE Jeroen Sleurs
- 8-OUR STORIES Jenni Kemi and Saila-Inkeri Puukko
Thursday April 25: MatchMaking
10 companies/organizations hosted MatchMaking table during the afternoon and on top both Finnair and VisitGroup had their desks for 1:1 meetings. Participants were spending 15-20 minutes at each table and the energy within the room was tangible. Each table host will receive notes from their meetings – thanks to our extended team members who took great care of their matchmaking teams.
READ MORE 〉〉〉 Hetta Workshop MatchMaking wrap-up and notes
- 8Seasons Lappland Tours AB / MI.EKO BASECAMP: Katharina Koch-Hartke and Johanna Heinrich
- Rajamaa in Lapland: Lars and Kaisu Malmström
- TornioHaparanda Tourist Office: Sisko Kalliokoski and Vera Chulkova
- Swedish Lapland / Heart of Lapland: Johanna Ögren and Lars Munk
- Lauka Hotel & Nature Suites / Svanstein Resort: Björn Arvidsson
- Kautokeino Region: Antje Schlecht
- Visit Alta: Jonny Veidemann
- Visit Lyngenfjord: Georg Sichelschmidt
- The True Lapland / Tosilappi: Pasi Ikonen and Kirsti Näkkäläjärvi
- Lapland Hotels&Safaris: Jenni Pekonen
- Finnair: Jeroen Sleurs
- VisitGroup: Patric Persson
NOTE: All personal contact requests are delivered only to matchmaking table hosts.
After the seminar the team enjoyed well deserved break at the terrace enjoying the warm sun and cold drinks. Before dinner we had a special guest visiting us: Tuomo Laakso came to joik and tell stories from the fells. Tuomo has been performing event in Talent Finland and he’s one of the local silversmiths and the owner of Koru Laakso.
Friday April 26: Company Visits
On Friday morning we visited 10 companies in Hetta. During the tour we got a good overview of Hetta’s various accommodation services, safaris and local handicrafts.
READ MORE 〉〉〉 Hetta Field Trip Company Visits – April 2019
- Hetta Huskies: hosted by Anna McCormack and Pasi Ikonen
- Ounasloma: hosted by Alpo and Matti Vuontisjärvi
- Hetta Silver: hosted by Raimo Korkalo
- Hotel Jussan Tupa hosted by Petri Niemi
- Koru Laakso: hosted by Tuomo Laakso
- Lapland Hotels Hetta: introduced by Laura Hokajärvi
- Paavontalo: hosted by Helinä Hautamäki
- A-puukot: hosted by Antti Ahlholm
- Hetan Kota: hosted by Titta Näkkälä and Janne Turtiainen
- Näkkälä Safaris: hosted by Taina Vuolteenaho
Special thanks to Timo and Taina from Lapland News for shooting the seminar video and taking drone footage at our last stop.
Thank you all for joining the workshop! It was a blast and a pleasure to meet you all.
We hope to meet you soon again!
- The Arctic Route: itinerary and time table: Arctic Route 2019 – 2020 – eng-v2
- Social Media posts
- Press release (to be added shortly)
- Link to photos (to be added shortly)